Tuesday 14 January 2014

Nica's Design Inspirations: A Trip to Leighton House Museum

Leighton House Museum is somewhere that I've wanted to visit for quite a while, and I recently got the chance to spend the afternoon there. If you’re not familiar with the London based museum, it was once the home and studio of the leading Victorian artist, Frederic Lord Leighton. 



He built the entire house for his own artistic delight, so, as you can imagine, the entire building is feast for the eyes. The most famous, and arguably, its most spectacular room is known as Arab Hall, and he decorated it with his own collection of around 1000 tiles that he gathered from all around the world, including Syria, Turkey, and Persia.


It's really interesting looking at tiles from different places and getting a feel for the different styles and tastes within each country. They are often a great source of inspiration for my own print designs too. So, if you're currently designing your own prints, I really recommend that you take a look at some beautiful tiles for a spot of inspiration! 

Have you visited any inspiring art museums lately? Share your tips or photos with me @Nica_Handbags on Twitter or @nicahandbags on Instagram, and I may pop along and take a look for myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment