Tuesday 1 October 2013

Discover Nica's Design Inspirations: Timeless Tomboy Aesthetic


“Tomboys are confident, rebellious, and adventurous.
They are bold, brazen, fierce—and sexy.”

- Lizzie Garrett Mettler, Author of Tomboy Style



As I was coming up with new ideas for the Nica AW 2013 season, I came across this amazing style book by Lizzie Garrett Mettler, whose blog called ‘Tomboy Style’ is one of my favourite fashion blogs!!




The book is filled with beautiful photographs of iconic women, who just use their natural instincts as to create beautiful, effortless looks. It's a real source of fashion inspiration!The pictures that I've chosen here, feature women with an array of different yet cool looks.


The tomboy style has actually been a  women’s fashion staple since the early 20th century. Coco Chanel and her Matelot borrowed unconventional materials like jerseys and tweeds to emancipate women from the immobility of tired classical clothing trends in the early 20th century. In a way, ever since Yves Saint Laurent created the classic Le Smoking tuxedo suit for women, in hand with, a vibrant, free-spirited approach appearing upon the streets in the 1960's, the intrigue of the androgynous tomboy aesthetic has boomed!


(Left)Coco Chanel (Right) YSL- Le Smoking suit


As far as my wardrobe is concerned, I prefer to style my outfits in a tomboy-yet-girlie way! It’s very fun to mix and match some of my favourites with some new twists as to change things up a bit, and make the rebellious tone of Tomboy style more refined and sweetish. You can mix masculine pieces with feminine highlights like a floral shirt, a great pair of jeans or shorts, and a lovely vintage handbag.


Image Source: Left and Centre, Right


So, of course, I love Alexa Chung’s fashion sense! Her girlie tomboy look is really played down with lovely casual-classic pieces but still injected with individual modern twists! It's distinctive and individual, and I love it!


I wanted to capture the Tomboy style's spirit of fun and confidence in my A/W 13 Nica collection, and I hope that you love it just as much as I do! Why not share how your styling your Tomboy infused handbags with us @Nica_Handbags on Twitter or @nicahandbags on Instagram. 

Love, 
Nica Kim
xxx




No comments:

Post a Comment